Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Living on Chemo...

Most people when they think of a person having cancer and going through chemo. The first thing they think about is the hair loss. But I'm here to tell you hair loss is minimal to all the other effects.

I've been taking chemo treatments since April 2009. I have my chemo treatments every other week on Tuesdays. I've had a total of 6 treatments so far. I did lose my hair after my second treatment. With my first 4 treatments, for 3 to 5 days after I would be so sick and tired. I would vomit, be constipated, and barley had enough strength to go to the bathroom. I couldn't even function enough to take care of my daughter (Thank God for my husband and my friends). I couldn't eat, not only would it make me vomit, but my taste buds are also effected. By the time I could taste something, it would be time to go back to chemo.

So now that I'm on my last 4 treatments, it's a different chemo drug than the the first 4. With this drug I don't vomit, I'm less tired, and not constipated. (Thank God). It still effects my taste buds for a couple of days. The worst part of this drug is that I get body aches and pains. I mean I hurt so bad it hurts to walk. It hurts to sit down, it hurts to lay down. The white part of my hands and feet are dark, like they are always dirty. My nail beds are black, like I smashed them in the car door. And it dries out my skin, my hands stay ashy, and my feet....let's just say I got a pedicure and 5 days later they looked like they hadn't been scrubbed in months.

Then after each chemo treatment, I have to go get a shot the next day. Because with the chemo my body doesn't produce enough white blood cells, or bone marrow. The shot I get helps me produce more. And yes I can feel it in my bones when it starts to work.

And on top my of my hair falling out, my eye brows are gone and my eye lashes are falling out.

But don't get it twisted, in spite of all the things happening to my body. On my off week of Chemo, I feel and look Fabulous. And I know I will beat this. I'm highly favored. God has better things in store for me. This is just a minor set back. Thank you Jesus......

No comments:

Post a Comment