Saturday, October 10, 2009

Me....HERO?

Well I'm pretty open about my Breast Cancer, and I will share my journey with anybody who will listen. I don't do it to get praise, or to get sympathy, I do it because it's therapy for me, and it may help, or encourage somebody else. I blog about it, I post it on face book, speak about it when I'm out...just open.

Now I don't want people to think that I'm never scared. Because I was and still am a little bit. but I refuse to let this get me down in a funk, and/or be depressed about it. That won't change my situation AT all. Plus, I'm blessed, fabulous, highly favored and always fighting. I'm no HERO, nor am I trying to be. I just want to raise awareness.

Women and men need to know it could happen to them, because before this happened to me. Breast Cancer was the furthest thing from my mind. I mean my maternal Aunt died of breast cancer about 13 or so years ago. But nobody really talked about it, or took the time to educate themselves on how it could or would effect our family. Actually I'm the only other person in our family who has had it. So this time, I am making sure I educate those I love, and even people I don't even know. I want people to realize this can happen to them, no matter the age.

Your doctor won't even give you a mammogram until you are 40. Which I don't understand because you are at risk for breast cancer as early as age 15. and ALL WOMEN ARE AT RISK period. And some men. So if you are at risk by age 15 why can't we get mammograms until we are 40. So now that you know this, please do your self exams at least 1 a month or more frequently. And if you feel a lump or think you feel a lump please go get it checked. And even if you never get Breast Cancer you still should educate yourself, because someone you know and or love may get it, and it will still effect you.....

Remember October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month...Talk about it and Raise Awareness

My name is Tamiko Edwards
and I'm A Breast Cancer Survivor
not a Hero...but thank you...



www.thebreastcancersite.com
http://ww5.komen.org/

2 comments:

  1. How do you know if you have a lump, will it be a big lump or can it be a little bump. I do self exams, but I always wonder would I realize its a lump or not....

    ReplyDelete
  2. it can either be big or little, but you will know...it will be a hard mass...

    ReplyDelete