Thursday, August 20, 2009

At the Hospital

So now surgery is over and I'm in my hospital room. The room is cool, I wish it was private. But my roommate was cool. Hell you couldn't even tell she was even there....

Ok, so when you have a mastectomy (single or double) they put these tubes in your body to drain the fluids in your body. Me I have have 3 drains, 1 for each breast and on one for lymphnode I had to have removed. Now these drains are plastic tubes and and the end of the tube it like the end of a turkey baster. And the fluids that it holds from my body..let's just say they don't look pleasant. And they have to be emptied 3 times a day. So the nurse shows us how to empty them because I have to wear these things home. (if you would like to see a pics of them click here).

And on top of that, I'm vomiting a lot. At first the nurse can't figure out why. Then after a couple of hours of vomiting, I guess a light or something went off in her head. Because she realized the pain medicine they had me on, the side effect was nausea. So she changed me to Morphine. And I can tell you I was feeling good, no more upset stomach. Just feeling good.

Then after a couple of hours of morphine through the IV. And I was doing good, by not throwing up. They changed me to percocet (an oral pain medicine). This also made me feel good, and I wasn't nauseated at all. (Which is good, I hate throwing up).

And even though, I was feeling good, and the nurses were nice. all I wanted to do was go home. I mean who ever really wants to stay in the hospital. My doctor/surgeon did come in and say I may go home on Thurs. but I was thinking Wed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Meko for sharing your experience on your blog, I am learning so much about breast cancer from the symptoms, to the treatment and pictures that you post. You are also showing me how to be a champion in any situation. Luv ya

    ReplyDelete